Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Virginia's Ben King Wins Tour Of California Stage Two

Stage 2 Tour of California Race File analysis!
By Hunter Allen

Virginia boy shows good…..AGAIN!

Ben King won stage 2 of the Tour of California in great style.  Ben is known for success in his long breakaways, as he won his first big race, the Pro National Championships in a long break and just recently this past fall, he was in a 90 mile breakaway at the World Championships in Richmond, Va.  True to his successful pattern, Ben was aggressive on the first climb of the day, where his best 20 minutes of the race occurred at 411 watts up the initial climb to Angeles Crest Highway. He and Evan Huff battled for both KOM’s with Ben getting second on each, however their aggressiveness in going for the KOM points is what created the separation for the breakaway.  At the very top KOM, Ben sprinted with some of the biggest watts I have seen him ever do, averaging 1182W for 13 seconds, and a max of 1408W!




For the next two hours, Ben was in the breakaway with three companions and Ben averaged 330W normalized power for the entire time, so needless to say, he was working hard in the break!  The break gained over 7 minutes at one point and they needed every bit of that gap in order to make it to the finish.  There were two additional Sprint points and two more KOM’s in the stage as well, and Ben won both of the sprint points, while Evan took the KOM’s.  Normally, you would expect the riders in the race to pedal only about 85% of the time, spending the remaining 15% coasting and resting for the finish, however Ben only spent 9 minutes NOT pedaling in the 2 hour and 5 minute breakaway or .07% of the time!  Clearly he was doing his share of the load.



In the finish, Ben and Evan were able to drop the other two companions and that was largely because they both drilled it hard over the remaining hill, averaging 444W for over 3 minutes.  This really put the hurt on his breakaway companions.   In the final sprint, it was just Evan and Ben battling it out for the win and Ben was able to rest his legs averaging only 136W for 46 seconds, before the final sprint of 16 seconds where he killed it with a max power of 1302watts and averaging 1152W for the win!



Many thanks to Ben King for sharing his file!!  Way to go Ben!!



Image Credit: Cycling News - Read More about Ben King

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this analysis using WKO4! Very instructional!

    ReplyDelete